Feb 15, 2008

adjusting

I have adjusted a little bit since my last journal and La Tabla is not quite a scary as it was at first for me. I felt a lot better after the church service last night. The service started by people coming into the church and kneeling at their seats and praying out loud (bed time prayer style) I joined in once it got a little awkward for me not to but it was hard for me to focus. Then, once people were done with their kneeling prayer, they would stand up and continue praying. Every so often, people would break out in song (which was a little awkward for me because I was the only person not singing) After a while, Bella Flor came out of her office and went up to the front row and asked me to join her in the front row (I was in the back). Then, when this continued on for a while, Bella Flor started her sermon. Before she started though, she introduced me to the church and actually got then to say hi to me on the count of 3. Then, about half way through, Bella's husband had to go pick up their daughter and because earlier I had inadvertently agreed to go with him, Bella Flor stopped in the middle of her sermon, told me that It was time for me to go pick up Bellita, and as we were leaving, everyone said goodbye to us. It was so strange! It was really unlike anything I had ever experienced before. However, it did make me feel welcome and a lot less freaked out about La Tabla.

Another thing I am having trouble with is the food. I would guess that at home I liked about three things that I have eaten in the past 24 hours. I do not want to hurt their feelings because they are trying so hard to be hospitable. For example, when I was in La Tabla, a lady offered me a fruit that I had never seen before and she was eating one and seemed to think it was really good. It was disgusting. I did not know what to do. We were outside and there was not a trash can in sight. I had to eat it. Just in the couple days that I have been living with Bella Flor, I have come up with these simple tricks to eat gross food.

1. If something tastes bad, move it to the side of your mouth (like a hamster). That way you will not taste it as much.

2. Try to get a beverage you like so once you chew you food enough, you can swallow it like a horse pill

3. Make a deal with yourself: After ten big bites, you wont eat any more. It is easier to swallow when you know the end is near. (this is better with smaller servings)

4. Try not to make eye contact with people and look away from the table if possible. That way, if you gag a little, your hosts are not immediately aware of your lack of fondness for their food.

Just FYI for those who were worried about I post yesterday, I am feeling a lot better than I was yesterday.

3 comments:

Elle said...

It's good to see you haven't lost your sense of humor :))

Anna van der Zwaag said...

yay! i'm glad you're adjusting...

Anonymous said...

Oh Kate! I can picture you saying every word of those "How to eat food techniques" You are so funny!
I miss you already and tomorrow will be so weird at church!
I'm glad you are adjusting! Keep posting!